Where and how to store your items can be a difficult decision. There are many options on the market and choosing the best one isn’t always a clear choice. While we provide secure, climate controlled storage in our own facility, we are happy to provide information you can use if you choose us or another provider.
Preparing your stored items
Here are some basic tips to preparing your stored items. This is not a comprehensive list. Some items require special preparation so please contact us if you have any questions!
- Empty all lawn and garden equipment of any water to prevent corrosive damage
- Use specially constructed boxes for clothing & heirloom items
- Label all boxes in detailed and careful format
- Remove any food or other items that would attract bugs or animals
- Wrap your books in newspaper – it will attract and absorb moisture before your books
- Do not store any combustibles or perishables
Packing your furniture
- Disassemble as much furniture as you can
- Store furniture on boards or pallets – keep it off the ground!
- Treat wood surfaces before storing to prevent drying out
- Use protective covers taking care to cover the corners
- Cover any mattresses in a protective cover to prevent moisture and bugs getting in
- Store mattresses in a standing position to prevent crush
Packing your small items
- Use big plastic tubs to prevent moisture damage
- Fill boxes completely and stuff newspaper or toilet paper in empty spaces
- Keep all heavy items on the bottom of boxes and containers
- Carefully label all boxes with locations of items to prevent breakage
- Do not store any combustibles or perishables under any circumstances
- Store small items like pots and pans in appliances and furniture
We have been storing items for our friends, family, people, and businesses in Greenville since 1945 and would be happy to help you make your decision. Meanwhile, be sure to check out the rest of our Resource Center for other tips & tricks like this!