Located an hour south of Greenville you’ll find the county seat for Greenwood County, and one of the most beautiful and welcoming cities in South Carolina: Greenwood. The city is known for its natural beauty, low cost of living and wonderful communities. Wondering if relocating to Greenwood is right for you? All the details you need are in this guide.
The total population of Greenwood is 23,148 people. The median age in the city is 33, and the largest age bracket is kids between 5-17 years old. Less than 20% of the local population is over the age of 60. Greenwood is a highly diverse city; while 50% of residents are White, 43% are Black or African American, and 11% are Hispanic.
The median household income in Greenwood is about $30,000 per year, which is lower than both the state and national median. While the majority of residents earn their income via a salary, about 38% of the Greenwood population receives Social Security. The city zip codes in Greenwood are 29646, 29647, 29648, and 29649; the main area code for the city is 864.
How Much Does it Cost to Live in Greenwood?
Overall, the cost of living in Greenwood is 15% lower than the national average, and 12% lower than the cost of living for South Carolina as a whole. Homes in the city are especially affordable; the median home value here is $93,700, which is less than half the average home value for the country. Renting in Greenwood is also affordable; the average monthly rent here is just $653.
Other living expenses in the are relatively on par with the national average, including the costs for healthcare, utilities, and good & services. Groceries are one cost that is higher than average here but only by 2%. The average resident will pay less than $800 per year in property taxes. Most families in the area own one car and commute about 20 minutes to work each day, so it’s important to keep an eye on fuel and repair costs when living in Greenwood.
One of the many fantastic aspects of living in Greenwood is the weather! This South Carolina city enjoys a mild climate all year round, with average temperatures that usually stay between 40-80 degrees. While winters can be cold, the temperature normally stays above freezing, and the city receives very little snow. Greenwood also benefits from plenty of sunny days, making it easy to get out and enjoy the area’s beautiful surroundings.
Where to Live in Greenwood
Finding the perfect home is one thing, but finding the perfect neighborhood can be even more difficult, especially if you’re settling in Greenwood for the first time. To help you narrow down your choices, here are a few of the city’s most popular neighborhoods:
- Wade Heights: This Greenwood neighborhood is located on the city’s south side. Despite covering just a quarter of a square mile, this tiny neighborhood has a vibrant community of close-knit neighbors. The median rent in Wade heights is $478 per month, and the average home value is $101,000.
- Coronaca: To the north in Greenwood you’ll find the cozy neighborhood of Coronaca. Homes here sell for about $215,000 on average, and the average rent is about $1,000 per month. The real estate here is made up mostly by single-family homes that are owner-occupied.
- South Greenwood: This is one of Greenwood’s best suburban neighborhoods, featuring single-family homes built after 1940, as well as a variety of apartment buildings. The median rent in South Greenwood is $985, and the average home price is $133,000.
Wondering where you might work in Greenwood, SC? The city’s economy employs about 10,000 people, and the employment rate here has been growing year over year. Textiles have always been an important part of the local economy, and even today, production roles make up 12% of all occupations held by workers in the city. Manufacturers as a whole make up 25% of the local industry; other major industries in Greenwood include Retail Trade, Healthcare, and Education.
Schools in Greenwood
Fun fact about Greenwood: The residents here have been invested in education since before the city was chartered! In fact, when the area became an official city in 1857, some schools here had already been operating for 25 years or more. Today, Greenwood remains committed to excellence in education, and the public school system here is top rated. The main public high school for the city, Greenwood High School, offers a range of academic opportunities, including Advanced Placement classes, a Junior ROTC program and technology courses at the G. Frank Russell Technology Center.
Things to do in Greenwood
At Emerald Farm in Greenwood, you can enjoy family-friendly fun throughout the year! The Farm spans 75 acres and includes a goat’s milk soap store, and antique store, and plenty of animals to pet and feed! There’s also a miniature train which you can ride for a full tour of the farm.
- Hours: 9AM-5PM Tuesday-Saturday
- Website: http://www.emeraldfarm.com/
- Address: 409 Emerald Farm Rd, Greenwood, SC 29646
- Phone: (864) 223-2247
View this post on Instagram
In addition to great professors and challenging courses for students, Lander University has tons of events going on all year! From musicals to college sports games, events at the college are a great choice for any night out. The campus is also a beautiful spot to simply walk around and enjoy a sunny day in Greenwood.
Need directions? Find your way to Lander University by clicking here.
Greenwood’s Top Restaurants
When you move to a city, one of the best parts of the transition is finding all new favorite restaurants. To kickstart your culinary journey in Greenwood, here are a few of our favorite local hotspots.
Santa Fe Mexican Grill
Craving classic Mexican cuisine? For folks living in Greenwood, there’s nowhere better than the Santa Fe Mexican Grill. From hearty tacos and fajitas to delicious margaritas, this restaurant has it all.
- Hours: 11AM-10PM Monday-Thursday, 11AM-10:30PM Friday, 11:30AM-10PM Saturday, 11:30AM-9PM Sunday
- Website: http://www.greenwoodsantafe.com/
- Address: 248 Birchtree Dr, Greenwood, SC 29649
- Phone: (864) 223-1002
Migs Pizza Castle
Mig’s Pizza Castle is another local favorite, famous not only for their pizzas but also for their delicious subs and calzones. You can sit down at the restaurant, or order your meal for delivery, right to your door!
- Hours: 10:30AM-9:30PM Monday-Thursday & Saturday, 10:30AM-10PM Friday, Closed Sunday
- Address: 1415 SC-72, Greenwood, SC 29649
- Phone: (864) 229-3330
O’Charley’s Restaurant & Bar
View this post on Instagram
When it’s time for burgers and brews, locals in Greenwood head over to O’Charley’s REstaurant and Bar. The lively pub atmosphere is matched with delicious meals like their famous fried green tomatoes,
- Hours: 11AM-10PM Monday-Thursday, 11AM-11PM Friday-Saturday, 10AM-10PM Sunday
- Website: http://www.ocharleys.com/
- Address: 452 By-pass 72 Northwest, Greenwood, SC 29649
- Phone: (864) 227-0272
Moving to Greenwood, SC Tips
- Visit prospective neighborhoods to get an in-person feel for the communities.
- Be prepared for delays or unforeseen obstacles on moving day; the best thing to do is to stay calm!
- Hire a local Greenwood moving company to handle all the heavy lifting.
If you have more questions about what it’s like to live in Greenwood, or want to receive a free Greenwood moving quote, you can always call HD Auston Moving Systems at (864) 269-0073. Our friendly staff members are here to help, so don’t waste another minute; call now!