Are you relocating within South Carolina or moving to the state? Whether you’re buying a house in South Carolina, changing apartments, or moving across the state, one of the first steps you’ll want to take after settling in is officially changing your address.
Here’s everything you want to know about how to change your address from the South Carolina DMV change of address process to updating your address to vote, with the Department of Revenue, and on a Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP).
SC DMV Change of Address
Whether you are new to the state or you’re just moving to a new home in the area, you are required to complete the South Carolina DMV change of address within 10 days. Here’s what you need to know about completing a change of address with the SC DMV.
South Carolina Driver’s License Address Change
There are three ways to do a South Carolina DMV change of address.
The easiest option is to update your address online. Click here to update your address with the SCDMV. You can also update your address in person at any SCDMV location. This option allows you to get a South Carolina REAL ID driver’s license, if you didn’t already have one.
You may also change your address by mail. You will need to fill out the SC DMV Change of Address Form 4057 and mail it to:
SC Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0035
You don’t need to provide any documentation to update your address unless you are getting a REAL ID for the first time. In this case, you will need proof of identity, proof of a Social Security number, proof of any legal name changes, and two forms of proof of address in SC. You can use the Sweet Caroline app to make sure you have the documents you need.
After updating your address with the SCDMV, your vehicle and driver records are automatically updated.
Note: You do not need to get a new driver’s license when you update your address. It’s still a good idea, though, to serve as proof of residency for other purposes when you become a South Carolina resident.
You can request a duplicate driver’s license online too! A new license with your updated address is only $10. You can only buy a replacement license once every 12 months through the online system, and
South Carolina Vehicle Registration Change of Address
When you submit a SCDMV change of address online or in person, your vehicle record is automatically updated. You will receive a new vehicle registration card in the mail with your updated address.
USPS Change of Address
If possible, change your address with the United States Post Office before you move and set up mail forwarding. That’s because mail forwarding can take anywhere from 3 business days to two weeks to begin! The USPS change of address request ensures all of your USPS mail is rerouted to your new home.
To change your address with the post office, visit the USPS Change of Address website and choose “permanent move.” You will need to pay a $1.10 fee to verify your identity. After the form is submitted, you will receive an emailed confirmation code that can be used to change your request. You can also complete the Post Office Change of Address Form 3575 at your local post office.
Remember: changing your address with the post office won’t update your address with federal or state agencies, service providers, or banks. You will still need to update your physical address with each entity.
Tax Agencies – State & IRS Change of Address
Be sure you update your address with the IRS, your former state, and South Carolina. This ensures you receive any important communications and it helps establish your residency. This is most critical if you are moving from a state like California that aggressively pursues former residents for income taxes. You’ll want to give your former state official notice that you are no longer a resident as soon as possible.
You can complete the IRS Change of Address Form 8822 and mail it in. It may take 4-6 weeks for your request to be processed.
South Carolina Voter Change of Address
South Carolina requires that you register to vote at least 30 days before an election. You are required to register at the address where you live. You can complete a change of address for voting in South Carolina only after updating your address with the DMV.
Are you moving within the same county? As long as you have a valid SC driver’s license or ID, you can do the South Carolina voter change of address online.
Are you new to SC or moving to a different county? You will need to register to vote. Click here to register to vote online in South Carolina after changing your address with the DMV.
You also have the option of registering to vote by mail or registering in person at your county board of voter registration or at the DMV.
Utilities Change of Address
As you prepare to relocate, you’ll need to disconnect utilities and, if you’re local, have them transferred to your new home. If you are moving to Greenville, we recommend checking our complete guide to Greenville, SC utilities with instructions on utility set-up and transfers.
South Carolina CWP Change of Address
If you have a Concealed Weapon Permit, you must notify the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) within 10 days of moving. You must inform SLED of your new address in writing to receive a new permit with your new address.
You should complete this South Carolina CWP change of address form. You will need to provide a copy of your South Carolina driver’s license with your updated address, a copy of your CWP if you have it, your email address, and a phone number. The form should be mailed to:
SLED attn: Regulatory
PO Box 21398
Columbia, SC 29221
Other Places to Change Your Address When Moving to South Carolina
- Your bank. If you aren’t changing banks when you move, make sure you update your address as soon as you move. This is important for receiving statements as well as verifying your billing address for online shopping.
- Credit card companies. Be sure you inform your credit card companies of your new address. You can usually update your address through your online account.
- Subscription services. Review your bank statements for a few months if needed to make sure you have a full list of all your subscriptions.
- Service providers such as Netflix. Don’t forget to update your address with Netflix and any other service providers.
- Passport. You don’t need to update your passport with your new address. If you decide to, make sure you wait until you have your South Carolina driver’s license if you are getting a REAL ID. Your passport can be used as proof of identity.
- Global Entry, TSA Precheck, or other Trusted Traveler Programs. Do you use a traveler program for expedited security at airports? You can change your mailing address online through the TTP website. You also need to visit your closest Global Entry or TSA Precheck Enrollment Center to update your current address.
- Health insurance company. Do you have a Marketplace health plan? Follow these steps to change your address on Healthcare.gov. If you are moving to South Carolina from another state, you need to enroll in a new Marketplace plan in SC.
- Auto insurance company. Make sure you tell your car insurance carrier as soon as you move. Your zip code is one of the biggest factors affecting your rate! Failure to do so can mean a denied claim if anything happens and no coverage.
- Renters insurance company. If you are moving within the state, your policy can likely move with you. If you are moving to South Carolina from another state, your carrier can likely issue a new policy very easily.
- Social Security & Medicare. You can complete a Social Security change of address request online through your My Social Security account. This will also update your Medicare address, if you are enrolled.
- Crowdfunding websites like Kickstarter, especially for potential physical rewards that will be shipped to you.
South Carolina Change of Address FAQ
What do I need to change my address on my license in SC?
The documents needed to change your address on your driver’s license in SC when upgrading to a REAL ID can be found here.
Can I change my SC driver’s license address online?
Yes, you can do a South Carolina driver’s license address change online as long as you have a valid SC driver’s license or ID. Click here to update your address with the SCDMV.
How do I change my address in South Carolina?
You must complete a SC DMV change of address within 10 days of moving either online or in person. You can then update your address with the USPS for mail forwarding, with the Department of Revenue and IRS, and other organizations.
Do I need a new driver’s license when I move in state?
No, you do not need to get a new driver’s license in South Carolina after moving as long as you update your address with the DMV.
How do I change my address on my concealed weapons permit?
Change your address on your South Carolina CWP within 10 days by completing this form and mailing it in. You will need to provide a copy of your CWP (if you have it), your driver’s license with your new address, and contact information.
Now that you know how to change your address with the DMV and more, you’re ready to cross off another item on your moving to-do list. Feeling overwhelmed with the moving process or want to skip the logistics and hard work of getting to your new home? Call the friendly movers at HD Auston Moving Systems to discuss your upcoming transition and how we can help you!